Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Tips and Tricks to Prepare for the SAT

The SAT is upon students and it is never too early to start studying because it’s a race against time where the amount of preparation could determine whether students’ test scores are excellent or mediocre. Sophomores still have a little bit of breathing room but Juniors and some seniors are gearing up to take the test. Luckily, there are many resources provided to students to help them ace the SAT. 

Senior Lauren Reichel shares, “the school offers Khan Academy and College Board. The prior years of facilitating the PSAT have also been a great tool to help me prepare.” Khan Academy has a whole category for test preparation that not only teaches about the English and math portions of the test, but tips and strategies for managing time, content, and questions. The College Board has free practice tests that students can take online or on paper.

Each year Erie High School provides a day in the fall where freshmen, sophomores, and juniors can all take a preliminary SAT to provide an idea of the actual test. Although freshmen and sophomores have time on their side, the PSAT is a great way to give them a sneak peak of what’s to come. This is a great tool for Juniors because in the spring they will take the official SAT. Besides taking the PSAT and other resources like Khan Academy and College Board, students can use outside resources like tutoring.

“I did a half a semester tutoring every week, and my tutor really helped me figure out how to eliminate bad answers and narrow down possible answers. She helped me look at questions in a different way to make taking the SAT easier,” reveals Senior Logan Hale. Mind fish Test Prep has a location in Boulder that provides tutoring specifically for SAT prep. 

Tutors are also great because they have extra tips and tricks for taking the SAT, since they have experience taking the test. Reading is also a great way to help study for the SAT.  

Reading isn’t just a study tool but an accessible and impactful way to prepare. Overall, there are many free and affordable ways to prepare you for the test. Though the SAT is made to seem daunting, with the right preparation, it can be made manageable.