Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Erie High School Trophy Case Preserves Memories

In the heart of Erie, Colorado, stands Erie High School, with a history of academic and athletic excellence that has been an integral part of the community for a very long time. Along the hallways of the school is the trophy case which preserves the school’s rich history and accomplishments.

Erie’s origins trace back to its roots as a small mining town in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Back then, the town thrived on the riches extracted from the earth. As the mining industry declined in the mid-20th century, Erie underwent a transformation, gradually evolving into a suburban community with a diverse economy and a growing population.

The trophy case at Erie High School shows this journey of change. Initially, it housed trophies from the school’s early days, when sports were a beloved pastime for the tight-knit mining community. Over the years, as Erie expanded and changed, so too did the trophies in the trophy case. Trophies from various sports—football, lacrosse, track and field, and more—began to accumulate, each representing a moment of triumph for the school and its athletes.

One of the most cherished records in Erie High School’s history belongs to Gaynelle Sipe, a legendary track and field athlete whose long jump record set over 40 years ago still stands unbroken. Gaynelle’s feat stands as a reminder of the excellence that has gone through Erie High School.

Gaynelle visited the school for an interview and shared her thoughts on her record. “For me it was just a thing I did, it wasn’t anything special,” Gaynelle continued, “But being back here all these years later still holding the long jump record, it’s just surprising to me.”

As the decades passed, Erie continued to grow and change. By the 1990s, the town had shed its former identity as a mining outpost and emerged as a vibrant suburban community with a fast growing population. Erie High School, reflecting the town’s evolution, moved from what is now the middle school to present day Erie High School.

Throughout these changes, the trophy case remained a symbol of continuity, preserving the memories of past victories while also bearing witness to new triumphs. In 2023, the Erie High School football team etched its name into the annals of history by winning the 4A state championship, a crowning achievement that brought the entire community together in celebration.

As the years pass and Erie High School continues to write its story, the trophy case serves as a tangible reminder of the school’s enduring legacy. It is a testament to the hard work, dedication, and talent of generations of students and athletes who have passed through its halls. And amidst the ever changing community, one thing remains constant: the pride and spirit of Erie, Colorado, embodied in the cherished memories enshrined within the walls of its beloved high school.