Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Helping the Community: The NHS Blanket Drive

As temperatures drop and the winds begin to pick up, Erie High School’s National Honors Society chapter has organized a special blanket drive to help those in need. 

This year, juniors Emma Bryan, Taryn Petruncola, and senior Isabel Freidl led the blanket drive, which was scheduled to take place for drop off on the 31st of January in either Greta vonBernuth  or Judith Trinkner’s rooms. 

Each handmade blanket is worth out-of-school service hours for NHS, “Members can get two hours per blanket, one hour for getting the materials and another for making the blanket itself,” says National Honors Society President, Mizuki Green. However, all members of the student body are encouraged to make and donate a tie-blanket!

Although making and donating blankets is greatly appreciated by the NHS, there is no pressure to donate them. On average, our NHS chapter gets anywhere from 25-40 blankets per year, depending on how much time members of NHS and the student body have, “It’s really up to them and what they need and what they have time for,” junior Emma Bryan adds. 

The blankets will be donated to a local homeless shelter and family outreach center, to hopefully be used by members of the community who are in need of warmth during this season. Bryan, one of the head committee organizers helped run this event by advertising on social media and teaching members of the public how to make these blankets, “I helped create and manage the blanket drive by advertising and creating a platform, where they can learn how to make these blankets and where to drop them off.”

“We’re doing it because we want homeless shelters to have comfort items.”

— Emma Bryan

The National Honors society does more than just plan special events, it helps students get more connected to the community. Senior and chairperson Isabel Freidl says, “The best part of being in NHS is just knowing that I’m helping the community that’s been there for me since 6th grade.”

Longtime sponsor for National Honor Society, Judith Trinkner, says that sponsoring for this group has made her, “more grateful for the community.” She also says that NHS has shifted her perspective on her and the students’ role in the community more, “watching our students reach out to our school and community to help has been rewarding. Students are so kind and thoughtful. I think giving to our community makes us better community members.”

Officer Taryn Petruncola explained that becoming an officer in the National Honors Society this year has helped her develop leadership and organizational skills, “I plan and run some events which has taught me lots of planning and leadership skills that are very useful for the real world.” She goes on to say that the National Honors Society inspires her to get involved, “The NHS has impacted my values by inspiring me to be more involved in my community and volunteering more.” 

“The best part about being in the National Honors Society is seeing the impact I have made on the community.”

— Taryn Petruncola

Bryan adds that not only has the National Honors Society helped her get more involved in the community, it helps her become a better person,  “It made me a more aware person of the environment around me…it gets me going and I feel good.”

Bryan also says National Honors Society has created an environment and community in the school itself, where ideas and friendship can be cultivated, “It gives you a little group of people that you know, have the same interests as you and the same drive and motivation.”

Friedl adds that joining NHS has benefitted her in many ways, giving her the skills and passions that will be valued forever, “I definitely found a love in volunteer work through NHS so that’s something I’ll have with me even after high school.”

The National Honors Society has created and planned countless projects and activities for Erie High, all of which have been cultivated with care and with the intention of helping the community grow.