Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Album Review: “Forever” by Noah Kahan

We’ll All Be Here Forever

Although it may not be “stick season” anymore, Noah Kahan’s final re-release of his 3rd album, Stick Season, has made waves through pop culture this past week, and year. So, let’s recap this album’s highlights. 

Before reviewing the album, there are a few things to consider and keep in mind. First is that the term “stick season” is used in the rural east-coast to describe the time after the leaves fall but before the snow comes in. This season is filled with solemn thoughts and empty spaces where the sunlight used to fill. Each song on this album highlights a different area of Kahan’s life in his small hometown of Strafford, VA. Each re-release of the original album has different title tracks added to it and features from different folk/indie-style artists. 

AUSTIN, TEXAS – OCTOBER 07: Noah Kahan performs during 2023 Austin City Limits Music Festival at Zilker Park on October 07, 2023 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Erika Goldring/FilmMagic) (Erika Goldring)

The first hard-hitting song on this album for me is “Stick Season”, a heartfelt song about losing and finding yourself while getting older. It also has some notions of love, or maybe a bad breakup? Kahan’s lyrics, “I saw your mom, she forgot that I existed” and “My other half was you” add that human quality to this song that makes it 10 times better. Although not the title track of this particular re-release, this song will never get old. So, this song will be a 10/10 in my books. 

The next iconic song is “All my love” which is about a somewhat healthy breakup, Kahan singing about how he will always be there, and “all my love” belongs to this person and, “there ain’t a drop of bad blood”. This song carries a happier and more upbeat rhythm, giving us a break from the sadder songs on the album. While listening to this song you just know you have to crack a smile while singing along, no matter the situation. So, this song gets an 8/10. 

Next is a previous title track on a different re-release, “Everywhere, Everything” reminds me of growing old with a childhood sweetheart. The line, “I wanna love you till we’re food for the worms to eat” reminds me of the infamous saying, “dating to marry” because it symbolizes an everlasting love. In this re-release, there is also a version with up and coming star Gracie Abrams, who opened for Taylor Swift during one of her American legs of the Era’s Tour! Moreover, because of the happier note to this song, it gets a solid ranking of 9.3/10!

“I’m constantly in awe of the heart and sincerity behind each of his songs, and I feel crazy lucky for the opportunity to sing on one of my favorites.”

— Gracie Abrams

Moving on to something more relatable for our student-body, the song, “Homesick” reminds me of our not-so-little town. This song is about Kahan’s hometown, which is theoretically holding him back in the song. Similar to the feelings of many kids, especially those that have never left Erie, this small town vibe can feel more like a never ending life, instead of a nostalgic hometown. So, this song will get a 9/10!

Next, is the infamous song “Dial Drunk” which went viral this past year on social media platforms like Tiktok and Instagram. This song is exactly what the total describes it as, a not-so-accidental call to an ex lover. As awkward as the situation makes it seem, Kahan’s lyrical power changes the tone from being embarrassed to embracing the phone call. Because of the meaningful lyrics and upbeat rhythms, this song gets a 9.5/10!

The song, “Call Your Mom” reminds me of the “mom” friend in every friend group. That one friend you know will always comfort you, and somehow always knows how to say the right thing, no matter what happened. Moreover, this song gives me the vibes of a warm hug or even that one hoodie you wear whenever you’ve had a rough day. So, this song will get a 11/10 from me, (extra points for the Lizzy McAlpine version!). 

Noah Kahan performs at Merriweather Post Pavilion on June 9, 2023 (Graeme Jackson)

Finally, this final re-release of Stick Season includes an empathetic and soothing title track, “Forever”. This song starts off slow and mellow, with heartwarming lyrics. However, it soon turns into a more-upbeat and fast pace song about the future Kahan hopes for. This song depicts the “dream life” for some, full of adventure and pure happiness of independence, instead of the stress of adulting. This song makes me feel excited for what’s to come in the future, more specifically, what’s to come in Kahan’s musical career. This song gets a 9/10 for me!

All in all, the whole experience of seeing the album progress and develop to this 3rd and final re-release has been overwhelming in the best way possible. As many tears have been shed all around the world listening to these songs, this final version of the album gets a 9/10 from me!

So, if it’s your first time hearing this album, be ready to Call Your Mom crying after listening, as it takes you through a whirlwind of emotions.