Anna Dunn Making Her Mark as Drum Major and Musician

Lauren Adams, Staff Writer

The class of 2023 is full of stand out students who are very involved with all sorts of school activities. In the music department no one stands out quite like Anna Dunn. Dunn is a senior at Erie High School, a member of CR-5, band, and the girls swim team. 

Music has always been a staple in Dunn’s life. Both of her parents are music teachers, as her Father teaches tuba at CU Boulder, and her Mother is a band director in Fort Collins. Dunn has been a part of choir since the eighth grade, and at first she felt very uncomfortable, but after she quickly picked it up singing became a huge passion of hers. Dunn has continued singing in EHS choirs since freshman year, participating in topaz, CR-5, honor, and all state choirs, which are all elite auditioned choirs. 

Dunn has also played the trumpet since the fifth grade. Now, almost seven years later she is one of the elite three drum majors, seniors who get voted to help lead the band. As a drum major she has the opportunity to help guide the other members of the band, and create special memories for both the upper and lower class. Dunn stated; “It’s just really surreal being in a leadership position in band, and when I look back those are going to be some of the best memories I have.” 

Not only are those memories special to Dunn and the other seniors in marching and concert band, but also the other members who look up to her, such as Aidan Baldzicki, a senior and member of the drum line, he said; “She is chaotic but loving! She’s overall an amazing human and it’s so funny, she has the best sense of humor and she cares so much about people close to her and it’s always there for her friends.”

Doug Carmichael, the band teacher at Erie High School, has watched first hand as Dunn has grown in both confidence and musical ability. He spoke very highly of Dunn and said; “I’ll be thinking “hey I’ve got to do this,” and [Dunn] will turn around and just do it. She’s like having another director.” 

A special moment for the band, and especially Dunn, was a last Thursday rehearsal of the season, where the whole band was together to practice before the football game on Friday. “It was really nice because I’m experiencing a lot of lasts as a senior, and it was a good way to wrap up our season.” 

Now that the marching band season has come to a close, Dunn is looking forward to the swim season, and upcoming auditions she will be participating in. For example, Dunn was one of the select few high schoolers in all of Colorado, and one of only 15 students at EHS to be chosen for All State Choir. 

When she graduates, Dunn is planning on studying music education, which in Dunn’s words is “pretty fitting”, and she is going to teach vocal music.