Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Empower Field: A New Era for Erie High School Homecoming Celebrations

Denver, CO – Empower Field, a renowned venue, is set to host Erie High School’s much-anticipated homecoming dance on September 30th, 2023. This decision marks a shift from the recent tradition of holding the event on the school’s own football field in Tiger Stadium.

Empower Field, known for hosting over 150 Broncos games and memorable performances by artists like Taylor Swift and Garth Brooks, is taking center stage for Erie High School’s homecoming. The shift in venue has sparked a mix of enthusiasm and apprehension within the community.

Student Body President Mia Martinez shed light on the change, stating, “We didn’t have many options with how big our school is location wise, and then we got a really cool opportunity to go down to Empower and it just made sense.”

Erie High School’s juniors and seniors may recall their football team’s visit to Empower Field just two years ago when they competed in the state championship game. This year, the Tigers aim to create lasting memories, albeit in a different setting. The homecoming dance will not take place on the field but within the United Club, a room offering breathtaking views of the iconic field.

While anticipation for the homecoming dance runs high, concerns have emerged from segments of the community. Notably, the EHS Moms Facebook group has voiced reservations about the event being held in Denver. Martinez acknowledged these concerns, stating, “Parents on social media have been having very mixed emotions, but as a STUGO class we decided that this is a huge opportunity that we are getting and it is going to be super neat so we understand their concerns but we’re very happy with this opportunity and getting to go down there.”

For those fretting about transportation to Denver, numerous options are available, including taking the train, party buses, limousines, or carpooling. Nia Sifontes, a senior at Erie High School, even suggested that parents could step in as, “Uber for the night” to ensure safe transportation.

Despite parental concerns, the majority of students are elated about the new venue. Sifontes shared her excitement, saying, “I’m really excited that it’s in Denver this year. It’s a new place and I think especially for senior year it’s going to be fun to change it up.”

The success of this year’s event will play a pivotal role in determining the location of future homecoming dances. However, Student Body President Mia Martinez emphasized that no major decisions have been made regarding next year’s venue. “I honestly have no idea what homecoming next year will look like. I do know that whoever’s leading the student government next year will make a great decision on what that looks like.”

The theme for this year’s dance is ‘Saturday Night Fever,’ and the Student Government has been diligently preparing decorations. Kennedy Gorske, a junior and member of the student government, described their role, saying, “We’ve been prepping decorations, and getting all the drinks set for homecoming and just getting the venue ready. There’s going to be balloons, disco decorations like disco balls, mini disco balls, and streamers, and there’s going to be a balloon arch.”

Although the venue has changed, many cherished traditions, such as the parade down Briggs Street, the dodgeball tournament, the football game, and the crowning of the senior homecoming Queen and King, will continue to be a part of the festivities. Nia Sifontes fondly recalled, “The Friday before the dance is just fun because you dress up in your Erie gear, then the parade, then the football game, and the dance is the next day.”

Erie High School’s homecoming dance at Empower Field promises to be a memorable event, blending tradition with the excitement of a new location. As the countdown to September 30th begins, the community awaits the night of ‘Saturday Night Fever’ with eager anticipation.