Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Caleb Williams: The Future of the NFL

The Heisman Trophy is the most prestigious award in all of college sports that’s awarded to the best performing player in college football. Caleb Williams, the 2022 Heisman Trophy winner, has the opportunity to add his name to that reputable list.

Williams bursts on to the college football scene as a true freshman at Oklahoma. His first appearance came as the replacement to a struggling quarterback Spencer Rattler in what was an embarrassing beat down at the hands of rival Texas. Williams entered the game trailing 35-17 and completed the largest comeback “The Red River Rivalry” history has seen with a whopping final score of 55-48.

Williams’ success didn’t end at his first game, or even his first season. At the conclusion of his Freshman year Williams made a shocking announcement and decided to follow his coach Lincoln Riley to Southern California and transfer to USC. 

During his recruiting process, Williams developed a very special connection with Riley. This connection led to his commitment and later signing with Oklahoma University. When Riley left Oklahoma for USC, Williams entered the transfer portal feeling quite distraught. In an interview with ESPN Williams touched on his feelings about Riley, “It was challenging to say the least.” Williams continued, “I was expecting him [

Riley] to be my coach there [Oklahoma] for the next 3-4 years.”

Williams arrived at USC with high expectations and absolutely delivered his Sophomore year. Williams broke multiple single-season USC records in 2022 including passing yards, total touchdowns, and passing touchdowns. To emphasize his 2022 season he was awarded the Heisman Trophy.

Usually Heisman trophy winners take advantage of all the buzz created by winning the Heisman and enter the draft immediately, but Williams was different. He decided to remain at USC for his Junior season. This decision has made it possible for him to win back-to-back Heisman trophies.

The USC star is in the midst of his Junior season and putting up formidable numbers. Through 7 games Williams has thrown for 2,021 yards and 23 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions, 3 of which coming in a close loss to #15 Notre Dame. Williams is currently second to Washington’s QB Michael Penix Jr in the odds to win the Heisman.

Williams’ consistent and excellent play has NFL teams drooling. Caleb Williams is seen as a once in a generation prospect and could be the future face of the NFL. Because of the opportunity to draft Williams, NFL teams could be exploring the option of “tanking.”

Tanking is when a team intentionally loses games in order to get a higher draft pick. The 3 worst records currently in the NFL belong to the Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, and the Denver Broncos. The Panthers are not tanking because their first round pick belongs to the Chicago Bears thanks to a prior trade. The Bears already have an excellent quarterback in Justin Fields but the star potential of Caleb Williams may force Fields out of Chicago. The Denver Broncos have an aging quarterback and if given the opportunity to draft Williams they would not hesitate.

To make the situation more hairy, Williams’ dad made some comments suggesting that Williams might return to USC to avoid being drafted to a bad team. “He’s got two shots at the apple,” Carl Williams told GQ Magazine. “So if there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.” 

Williams is not desperate for NFL money quite yet due to NIL. Williams is making an estimated $2.7 million in NIL deals. 

We can’t be too sure if Williams’ dad is just blowing steam at the situation considering Williams himself has stated that he would be happy to play anywhere. “San Fran, Raiders, or Falcons,” Williams told PEOPLE Magazine. “I’d play anywhere.” 

Caleb Williams could be franchise altering regardless of where he lands. Whether he leaves after his Junior year or stays for his Senior his incredible talent is not going anywhere.