Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Baseball
May 22, 2024

The Epic Rivalry Between Erie and Frederick High Schools

In the heart of Colorado, amidst the majestic Rocky Mountains, lies a rivalry steeped in tradition and fervor: Erie High School versus Frederick High School. Two schools, less than ten miles apart, have a rivalry that dates back decades, and has been the subject of intense passion and competition, not only on the field but also in the hearts of the communities they represent.

With a backdrop of scenic beauty and a deep-rooted love for sports, Erie and Frederick have consistently produced formidable football and basketball teams. Their clashes on the field and court have become legendary, drawing crowds from both towns eager to witness the showdowns between these athletic powerhouses.

On the football field Erie and Fredrick haven’t played each other in six years since Erie was moved to 4A while Fredrick remained in 3A. However the rivalry peaked in 2017 when the two schools played against each other for the chance to win the ‘Miners Trophy’ and for a shot to make the playoffs. One of Eries most notable alumni, Noah Roper, spoke about the rivalry in an interview with BocoPreps. “There are a lot of people who love this game on both sides, and a lot of people who have family members who played in this game.”

The Warriors Head Coach Travis Peeples also commented on the rivalry in a BocoPreps interview. “The rivalry has been going for a while and the two towns get excited about it. More than the rivalry, I think we feel like we’ve worked really hard and we’re looking forward to the game itself.”

When the Tigers and Warriors collided under the lights, it was more than just a game – it was a clash of titans. The roar of the crowd, the thunderous collisions, and the jubilant celebrations or heartbreaking defeats all added to the tapestry of this enduring rivalry.

But the rivalry extends beyond football, spilling onto the basketball court where both schools boast a rich history of success. Erie High School’s Tigers, led by Coach Jeff Parriott, have long been known for their fast-paced offense and stifling defense. Meanwhile, Frederick High School’s Warriors, under the guidance of Coach Jeff Conway, have earned a reputation for their precision shooting and relentless determination.

Every year, when Erie and Frederick face off on the basketball court, the atmosphere crackles with electricity. Students, alumni, and fans pack the stands, their cheers echoing through the gymnasium as the two teams battle for supremacy. Each game is a spectacle of skill, strategy, and sheer grit, with the outcome often decided in the final seconds.

Off the field, the rivalry between Erie and Frederick is deeply ingrained in the fabric of their communities. Alumni reminisce about past victories and defeats, passing down tales of epic showdowns to younger generations. Local businesses rally behind their respective teams, adorning storefronts with school colors and slogans of support.

But amidst the fierce competition lies a mutual respect between the two schools. Players from Erie and Frederick may battle ferociously on the court and field, but off the field, they share a camaraderie forged through shared experiences and a love for the game.

As another basketball and football season dawns in Colorado, all eyes turn once again to Erie High School and Frederick High School. The rivalry that has defined generations continues to burn brightly, igniting the passions of players, fans, and communities alike. In the end, regardless of the final score, one thing remains certain: the spirit of competition between Erie and Frederick will endure for years to come.