Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Jazz Choir 2023-24

Jazz Choir 2023-34 Class

The 2023-34 Jazz choir also known as 5130 led by Ms Burd, is filled with excited students and strong relationships. As the two semester long class progresses into a full year ahead of them, each student has their own way of preparing for choir events.

Cooper Chudleigh, a junior at Erie high school,  shared a few of his traditions that he does before competitions and concerts. Cooper explains how he likes to go over his music beforehand, but not in just one way. He explains to us that, “first I will listen to it, then I sing it, and then I’ll feel it, both through the vibration of the speaker, but also in my heart in what the text means to me personally.” Cooper also shares that there are ways that they prepare as a group. Explaining how the whole class will, “sing a song in the dark to bond better together.” 

The students in jazz choir believe it to be a fun and exciting experience. Clair Huber, a senior at Erie high school, shared, “favorite part of jazz choir is the community we get to build because we’re such a small group and our music is so challenging.” 

Jazz choir allows students that want a different style of choral music, to be able to perform that with a group of kids that have the same styles of music. While the class holds a fun and positive environment, it also comes with its challenges. Carter Joyce, a senior at Erie high school, shares that, “the most challenging part about jazz choir is holding your part and making good blend between sections.” Having to perform more up-beat music than a normal choir class, jazz choir has another challenge. Joyce tells us that, “we have half the people in jazz choir than there would be in a normal choir.” Having half the people, and the music being twice the challenge, it’s especially difficult to produce the sound expected of a choir. 

With the challenges presenting themselves, Burd believes that it does not affect the performance of the choir. Sheshares that, “We always get great feedback and ratings from our judges!” Referring to the judges at All State Jazz Choir, Greeley Jazz Festival, and CHSAA Jazz/acapella festival. 

Burd also explains that there’s more to Jazz choir than just singing. She believes that, “it makes students in 5130 stronger leaders in the rest of the choir department and more independent musicians.” Adding, “I hope that they develop a lifetime love of music and come away from choir as kind and empathetic humans who make the world a better place!” 

Ellie Bealer, another student in 5130, regarding Ms. Burd tells us that, “she does everything she’s supposed to do, but she allows us to do our own individual work.” Having strong relationships between teachers and students, and being able to perform well as a group, Jazz choir has proven themselves to be an incredibly successful class. Having all the elements needed to perform on a high level, Jazz choir and the students involved have become quite the impressive group.