Back To In-Person Learning

Alyssa Chavez, Senior Staff Writer

Over the past year, students have had to drastically change how they learn. Replacing a classroom with their bedroom, physically being with a teacher turns into zoom meetings, and paper school work turns into electronic documents. 

Erie High School (EHS) has had many different procedures to continue education during the worldwide pandemic. The end of the 2020 school year ended with students staying completely online. This method of learning stumbled into the following year. Around October of 2020, EHS split up its students into two cohorts and moved to a hybrid schedule. Students who were a part of the first cohort would attend school in person on Mondays and Tuesdays and finish the week online. And vise versa for cohort two.

As COVID cases decrease it is finally safe to have all students back in school with protocols such as masks in place. EHS is planning on combining the two cohorts after spring break. But, continues to offer online learning for students who do not feel comfortable with going back.

Some students are excited to finally be back in a classroom setting with their teacher and classmates. While others look at the combining of the cohorts as a huge risk and plan to stay online. 

“I plan on going to school fully in person after spring break because my parents and I think it will help me stay focused,”  says Ana Cuerden, a senior at EHS. “I just want to be able to actually talk to my teachers and get my work done.”

Though Cuerden sees both cohorts going to school together as a risk of getting COVID she is still excited for what the rest of the year has to offer. 

“I think having everyone back in school is exciting because we will finally get to see each other again. But I would not be surprised if COVID cases went up since some people may be traveling, and we are coming back right after spring break. But as long as we social distance, wear our mask, and follow the guidelines I think we will be fine.” Cuerden explains.

Stacy Bussinger, a senior at EHS, also plans on attending school fully in person after spring break.

“I want to go back but at the same time, I did not. My mom thinks it would be a good idea for me since I am not doing too well with online school. It would  be nice to get some normality for the school year.” Bussinger concludes. 

Unlike Cuerden and Bussinger, Lily Christensen does not play on returning to the school after spring break.

“I do not plan on returning to the school after the break because throughout 2020 I learned that I actually work better with online learning and being in my own space. Rather than going into school and being around a bunch of people and distractions.” Christensen states. 

Like many students, Christensen is very concerned about the fact that there will be double the amount of students after break.

“I am not sure about all the details, but I would like to know what social distancing is going to be like. I have a class that has 50 students in it and if all those kids choose to go to school I am not sure how we would social distance.” Christensen explains. 

Although Christensen is concerned about all the students coming together, she is still hopeful that students will be able to be cautious.

“I definitely think traveling during break and everyone coming together directly afterward puts us at a higher risk.”  Christensen continues, “But, I feel like we are all cautious and limit the people that we are around we can help control that.” 

Whether in person or online, COVID is still very much alive. Though some students may not be as worried as others, we still need to be cautious. Take care of yourself and those around you and hopefully, this is a turning point to end the year on a good note.