A New Schedule for a New Year, Part 2

Grayson Blalock, Editor-in-Chief

Erie High School’s bell schedule has changed once again. This time, it has been revamped more than before.

School starts 15 minutes later this year than it did last year (from 7:30 to 7:45). The St. Vrain Valley School District will continue to move the high school start times later by 15 minutes each year until it reaches 8:30, in response to research showing that high school students learn better later in the day.

In addition, Erie High School has moved to the two (A and B) lunch system. This particular change has ruffled the feathers of some of the older students at Erie, leading to grammatically challenged Change.org petitions like the one below.

“The incoming freshman class at my school is too large so the admin want to split up lunch into two groups based on where your class before lunch is located around the campus. My fellow students and I view this as an overcomplicated way of solving this issue as it causes way too many schedule changes and confusion. We ask to change the groups to be based on grade. For example, the seniors and freshmen.will be eating at the same time and the sophomores and juniors will be eating at the same time. We feel this is a way less complicated solution as it keeps lunch times consistent throughout the year. Thank you -Liam McLaughlin” – from https://www.change.org/p/erie-high-school-reasonable-lunch-groups?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_17048206_en-US%3Av3&recruiter=855553225&recruited_by_id=00c3d5e0-0e10-11e8-a875-ad8c45095827&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_abi&share_bandit_exp=abi-17048206-en-US&share_bandit_var=v0

The solution of having a lunch schedule based on grade, as suggested in the referenced petition, wouldn’t work. Many classes are made up of students from different grades, making it impossible to split lunches by grade.

Despite some students’ displeasure, the extra lunch is necessary, and isn’t going anywhere. Erie moved to the two lunch system to alleviate stress on the cafeteria and hallways during lunch. 

“The numbers (were) our main thing. It was inevitable, it was going to have to go to two lunches to accommodate everybody during that time. We had a big problem getting everyone served and being able to have enough room for them,” commented Campus Supervisor Molly Irwin.

There are also new rules about where everyone can eat at lunch. Freshmen are required to eat in the commons (cafeteria) this year. Sophomores must stay on campus, but can eat in the hallways between the commons and the C-Wing. Upperclassmen have the option to go off campus or to eat in the junior-senior lounge. 

The upstairs junior-senior lounge is closed to all students during lunch who do not have an off block, as is the hallway past the C-Wing towards the gym.

Despite some resistance to change, the new schedule is necessary for a growing Erie High School, and is here to stay.