The Beginning of Erie’s Swim Team

Korie Gallagher, Senior Writer

The 2018-19 school year has brought many changes to EHS, including the addition of Erie’s first ever girls swim team, which so far has been loved by the school community.

The addition of a swim team was talked about last year, and was confirmed by the end of the 2018 school year by the St. Vrain School Board. Since then, students were able to attend an informational meeting in August, learning about details of how the swim program will be run during its first year.

The students who attended the informational meeting in August were left with feelings of intrigue and interest regarding the new swim team. EHS Senior Olivia Stecina, who is always looking for an opportunity to swim, was among them. “I wanted to do swimming for a long time but it was not ever really presented as a option, because the school did not have a swim team,” Stecina explained.

The head coach of the girls swim team is Kelly Shipley, who is continuing her third year teaching for Erie High School. Shipley teaches AP Research, Honors Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, and is known for her witty and humorous attitude.

Other coaches and supervisors who are a part of the swim crew are Molly Creek, Annie Apple, Brenda Smith, and Abby Hicks. “Our very own Molly Creek will be on deck with us this season.  I am anticipating a hearty group of swimmers, so I have enlisted a few friends to help us make sure this season is the best season ever! Annie Apple will also join us on deck, along with Brenda Smith as our Mindful Coach, and Abby Hicks as our strength coach,” announced Shipley.

All of these new developments and exciting prospects have everyone involved in the swimming program ecstatic for the upcoming season. Stecina explained that “the thing that got [her] very excited [for the swim team] was at the team meeting Shipley talked about the fact that the goal for the year was personal growth,” which the swim enthusiast elaborated “is something that [she] can get behind.”

“I am so excited that I literally wake up at 3 a.m. thinking about girls swimming every morning. This is such an incredible opportunity for EHS, and the community! I anticipate that we will see some amazing talent in and outside of the water!” Shipley concluded.

For anyone interested in being part of the swim team this year at Erie, it is not too late. “Our official season does not start until November. All girls can register online,” added Shipley. If anyone wants to join, all they have to do is go to the Erie High School page. On the page, there will be a category for athletics, under which will be a link for athletic registration. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Mrs. Shipley!