Smoking the Competition

Kaitlynn Lohmann, Copy Editor

The sky lit up with a fiery presence, overseeing the kickoff of the first away football game for the Erie High School Tigers. As the smoke ran amid, on October 16th, Erie took the win as they fought against their Silver Creek competition. 

If winning against Silver Creek wasn’t incentive enough to play well, the 9NEWS Game of the Week crew was there to capture the game. 9NEWS will post highlights from the game onto their sports website and show the game on their Prep Rally segment. 

The Erie Cheer team also got an opportunity to perform a pre-record routine for the 9NEWS crew to show. 

Senior Cheerleader, Emma Barrow, admitted, “Although we can’t be at every game, it still feels nice to support [Erie Football] in any way we can. Performing on 9NEWS is the perfect way to show support.”

For Erie High students who were still unable to attend the football games in-person, there was a tailgate Watch Party. Student Body President, Izzy Hageman, planned the event at Coal Creek Park. 

Information about the Watch Party found on Izzy Hageman’s Campaign Instagram page.

“My favorite part of the school year is the football games and I wanted to make sure we all had a chance to get our spirit intact,” Hageman explains, “I want everyone to come together and it is essential that our team knows we are still there for them.”

A screen was set up with the Erie Tiger Network displaying the football game. Food, drinks, and blankets were welcomed, to make the most out of the night. The theme of the night was camouflage, where students showed up decked out in all things green and black. 

The football team played their hearts out and started off leading the game. Towards the end of the second quarter, a sudden change of pace occurred. The game stopped suddenly and the coaches had a meeting in the middle of the field. A thirty-minute delay began due to the heavy amount of smoke in Longmont. 

Erie Tigers play against Silver Creek Raptors during a smoky night.

After the delay, the teams played the last two minutes of the second quarter and went straight into the third quarter. At the end of the game, the Erie Tigers pull out another win, 54-27. 

Even while playing in an unusual game, Adam Bristow, a senior football player, declared that playing is “an amazing experience on Friday night with all the boys.”