Erie High School Boys Basketball Team Looking For Best Season Yet

Evan Hutson, Staff Writer

Last season ended in heartbreak when the boys basketball team lost in the first round of the playoffs to Canon City and then said goodbye to longtime head coach Scott Melin. This season hope sprung eternal with a new outlook and a new championship head coach in Gail Hook.

After finishing 10-14 the Boys were determined not only to impress their new head coach, but to make amends from last season’s losing record

“We have been practicing and hitting the weight room every week. We are training hard every time. We are looking for a huge push in the playoffs and even try to win state.”  said Kayan Hargarve, a sophomore forward. 

This year the boys are looking for a record breaking season, their goal is to win state this year for the first time. 

Senior Myles Meskers says, “ we got some new kids and a new coach (Gail Hook) to get us ready to play. We have been training very hard every day on the court and in the gym. 

Hook is a huge new addition to the basketball team. She is a coach with lots of experience. She coached at Monarch for 17 years. Before being the women’s coach at Monarch she coached at Smoky Hill for one year and Centaurus for eight years. Gail was also an assistant at Purdue University and in the WNBA. 

Kayan Hargrave says, “The new coach is fitting in great, she is helping our team get to the next level.”

In her coaching career she has led her teams into 10 conference championships and has amassed a career record of 446-188. She has one state championship, 4 championship game appearances, 8 final 4 games, 12 great 8 games, and a total of 16 appearances in the sweet 16. 

The team is working a lot on fundamentals this season. Hook has been making sure every player can play every position and is trying to get everyone to play outside of Erie. The team has been working with Red Line which is a private gym with personal trainers to get their basic skills and agility ability higher. 

Get ready for the Erie Tigers first game tonight at home versus Longmont at 7. 

Roster Overview:

#2 T. Rademacher, G

#5 C. Rademacher, G

#10 K. Hargrave, F

#11 L. Havard, F

#14 J. Nguyen, G

#15 K. Loy, F

#20 G. Mendoza, F

#21 K. Lucero, F

#22 M. Meskers, G

#23 S. Alexander, G

#32 C. Kumar, F

#35 F. Iyere, C 

Schedule Overview:

12/3 Longmont 7:00p

12/5 Silver Creek 7:00p

12/11 @Centaurus 8:00p

12/19 @Niwot 6:30p

12/21 @D’Evelyn 6:00p

1/4 Fort Morgan 7:00p

1/11 Holy Family 7:00p

1/14 @Berthoud 7:00p

1/21 @Mead 7:00p

1/23 Frederick 7:00p

1/25 @Fort Morgan 7:00p

2/4 @Holy Family 7:00p

2/7 Berthoud 7:00p

2/18 Mead 7:00p (Senior Night)

2/21 @Frederick 7:00p 

There are more games against Roosevelt, Windsor, and Skyline that are not currently on MaxPreps.

Make sure to be at:

1/21 @Mead 7:00p

1/23 Frederick 7:00p

2/4 @Holy Family 7:00p

1/21 @Mead 7:00p

2/4 @Holy Family 7:00p

2/18 Mead 7:00p (Senior Night)

2/21 @Frederick 7:00p