Erie’s Annual Blood Drive

Sadie Horner a senior at Erie High School signing up for the blood drive.

Madison Hays, Assistant Editor

Halloween – spiders, monsters, candy and blood. October also holds the annual National Honor Society (NHS) blood drive! Many students from Erie High School participate in this event by donating blood or by volunteering. 

The blood drive takes place at Erie High School this year on October 30. Participating in the blood drive gives students the ability to save up to two lives without leaving the school building! Blood transfusions are needed for nearly five million Americans every year. However, there are requirements necessary to keep young donors safe from experiencing reactions. 

Students must be at least 16 years of age to participate. There are also certain weight requirements for ages 16 through 22 to ensure there is enough blood to meet the 350mL blood volume. For example, shorter people must weigh more, because a greater percent of their blood is being removed. The minimum height requirement for males to donate is five feet tall and weigh at least 110lbs. Females weight requirements are detailed in the chart below:

Female Height 4’10” 4’11” 5′ 5’1″ 5’2″  5’3″ 5’4″ 5’5″ 5’6”≤
Female Weight 146 142 138 132 129 124 120 115 110

(This table details the minimum female height and weight, meaning the students need to weigh greater or equal to the height requirements. Students who are 5’6” or taller need to weigh at least 110lbs.)

October 14-29, during both A and B lunches there will be NHS students at a table in front of the office. Students working the table can provide information about participating in the blood drive as well as the parent/guardian acknowledgement slip. All students that are participating in this event must turn in a permission slip two days before the event, Monday, Oct. 28. 

When tur

ning in the permission, the NHS workers will give out a reminder slip with the date and time and a few reminders for that day. The time will be chosen on a first come first serve basis. There will be a pass sent to the participant to leave class and head down to the wrestling room which is the event location.

For the students participating, a few reminders includes:

• The day before to eat a meal high in sodium (salt).
  • Eat a healthy meal with lots of proteins on Oct. 30 (breakfast).
  • Bring snacks to eat throughout the day. 
  • Drink lots of fluids the day before.
  • Drink 8-16 ounces 10-30 minutes before your appointment
  • Bring any current ID (school or government).

Zoë Hatch, a senior at Erie High School says, “My favorite part of donating blood is feeling like I am making a difference and of course the snacks that are provided afterwards.” This will be Hatch’s second year participating in the event.

Erie High School students give blood and save lives in the month of October.