The Idols of Erie

An outstanding display of skill and vigor by the students of Erie High School

Josie Brewer, Staff Writer

The tope Five contestants waiting nervously to hear the final two results. By Morgan Walje

Erie idol was a huge success; all contestants tried their very best, and the show went smoothly. The ten contestants, who audtioned for their spot, were; Kelsey McKercher,Olivia Sepin, William Rathe, Alia Brand, Jensen Wysocki, Hannah Brink, Zane Winegar, Maya Jannett, Nathan Hughes, and Kristin Green. Each person had their own voice and presented their passion for music with a single song. We saw a multitude of genres as well, from country and pop, to jazz and alternative. The audience had to make a difficult decision; who was going to move on to the top five? Contestants waited nervously for the results the next day, and over the announcer we heard the five names; Olivia Sepin, Alia Brand, Kelsey Mckercher, Jensen Wysocki and William Rathe.

The top five night was quick to come, and watching each person sing their heart out was a magical experience. With only a few technical problems that lightened the nervous tension in the air, the show ran smoothly. The audience waited to make their next choice – the final two.

After a quick intermission, only Alia Brand and Olivia Sepin remained. Sepin sang Little Black Submarines by the Black Keys with her trusty Guitar by her side. Sepin’s voice fit the song perfectly, each word holding so much power and the audience was awestruck by her talent. Next, as Alia Brand sang Hallelujah, she grew emotional, shedding a single tear d

uring her performance. Brand explained that the song is, “Very close to my heart and my family.”

For the last time, the audience hesitantly voted, and waited in anticipation for the results of Erie Idol. Brandon Bird came back onto the stage, and slowly announced the winner; Alia Brand. A smile broke out on her face – her second Erie Idol win. Sepin happily congratulated Brand as they walked off stage together.

The win had meant a lot to Alia since it showed her that “No matter how stressful things get, I will always have music,” says Brand. The contestants of Erie Idol, and Brand are simply one shining example of how music can affect someone, and where talent can take you.