Looking for Alaska

Jayleen Archuleta, Staff Writer

In the novel Looking for Alaska by John Green, Miles Halter, a teenage boy stuck in the blandness of suburbia, transfers schools in search of “a Great Perhaps,” where he meets the captivating Alaska Young.

In desperate need of change, Miles transfers to private boarding school Culver Creek for his junior year of high school. There, he becomes friends with his roommate Chip Martin, also known as the “Colonel,” who introduces Miles to his friends Takumi Hikohito and Alaska Young. Miles becomes completely enchanted with Alaska, and her free spirit changes his previously predictable life to anything but that. Upon learning of Miles interest in last words, such as “ I go to seek a great perhaps,” Alaska tells Miles the famous last words from Simon Bolivar, “How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!” The book then follows Miles and Alaska through their search for greater meaning and an answer to the ever pending question. As the year progresses, the group spends nearly all their time together, misbehaving on a series of exciting adventures through junior year.

In the short amount of time they spend together, Miles and his friends confide within each other on serious topics such as depression, loss, and intimacy. Guiding each other through first relations, traumatizing pasts, and personal struggles in a very honest and real way.  

Looking for Alaska is a book to be loved for years to come for its ability to tackle controversial topics and open your eyes to the journey of self discovery and how confusing it often is. This book is a definite must read for others managing their way through the teenage years.