How To Destress About Finals

Dillon Huselton, Staff Writer

Finals are a very stressful time for students because grades can be determined by a single test, which only serves to increase the pressure on students. Here are some simple steps of how to stop stressing about finals.

1. Breathe: take a step back and think about the classes in which you need to really ace your final. Focus your efforts into what you really need to study in, instead of wasting time studying for a subject that you know really well. Try meditating, it can help your brain absorb information in greater quantities. 
  2.  Prepare: begin studying, plan ahead, and be ready for the worst. If you know you will not be able to get a good score on a particular final, or that obtaining a certain score on a final will not change your grade, then do not focus all your energy into a futile effort. Start studying right now, and continue studying up until the last few days before finals.
  3. Do not procrastinate: procrastination is the high school student’s kryptonite, so do not fall into that classic trap; just keep making progress on getting prepared. Remove distractions, set an alarm for 30 minutes, and study until those thirty minutes are up. Take a ten minute break in between study breaks.
  4. Stay motivated: staying motivated is an entirely different beast. There are many ways to try to stay motivated during finals week, but one of the most effective ways I have found is to take a break every once in a while. If taking a break does not work for you, then find ways to make studying interesting since it is significantly easier to focus on something that interests you. Have your friends help you stay focused and ask them to help you study.
  5. Study: just do it. Use any provided study guides, quizlets, and other students around you. Google efficient study techniques and find which ones work for you. Use the school provided resources like cocoa and cram or tutoring.
  6. Relax: relaxation is one of the most important things to remember during the coming days of finals. Take a break, watch some television or Netflix, or play some video games. Do something that will take your mind off studying. In the upcoming days of finals, gradually begin reducing your study efforts for finals so as not to overwork your brain.

If you follow these simple steps you should be able to easily ace all of your finals; remember to study hard, take deep breaths, and ace your finals. Good luck!