Tiger Times

Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Erie's very own swim team is here at last!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Erie Rec Center Pool

Erie Rec Center Pool

Erie Rec Center Pool

Erie Rec Center Pool

Kailey Pickering, Senior Staff Writer

Chlorine wafts into your nostrils, humidity greets your skin, and water splashes onto your feet as you walk across the deck of a pool. This is a feeling that excites many and it is coming to Erie High School! As of next winter (2018-2019) Erie High School will have their very own girls swim team!

For the past few years there have been many swimmers who have had to go to schools like Longmont, Niwot, Silver Creek and Skyline simply because they wanted to be a part of a high school swim team. The last two years, Justin Carpenter, Courtney Stanesa, and Kelly Shipley have fought hard to get a girls swim team for Erie. They went through a number of procedures in the process to get the team including complying with Title IX, securing a facility, finance to success, and the coaching piece. Carpenter expressed there was a swimming “need in the community” that they strived to fulfill.

In addition to creating the teams itself, Erie will also be creating new memories and encouragement. Lauren Davia swam for Longmont High School in the 2017-2018 season for the first time and found a love for it, when she found out Erie was getting its own team next year “I got super excited, I am so excited for the swim team – it is just going to be like a family.” In the many aspects of swimming, bonding and getting to know each other is an amazing quality.

It has officially been announced that Shipley, an AP Research and Chemistry teacher, will be the head coach for Erie next year! Shipley carries a deep passion for the sport as well as her swimmers. Shipley loves watching “girls embrace the challenges that make them stronger and they learn to love the struggle because it makes them appreciate their accomplishments. It is an incredible sport to coach.”  

Coach Shipley will be holding practices at the Carbon Valley Recreation Center where Erie will be the first team the facility has hosted.

Both Shipley and Carpenter have goals to build a strong foundation in the first year of the sport. As Carpenter put it “every race will be a school record,” the air could not be more full of excitement for the greatly awaited arrival of the sport.

Kailey Pickering, Editor-in-Chief

Kailey Pickering has loved writing since she was ten years old. She’s spent hours between the pages of a book and creating another world she conjured...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!”

1. Morgan Walje on April 24th, 2018 8:32 pm

Awesome introduction and unique detail.

2. Alex Mathis on May 15th, 2018 9:37 am

Great introduction and good job giving the insight on what it took to get swim here.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Erie

Erie’s Band and Orchestra Program Throws a Ballad of Their Own

• Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Erie

Mrs. Addington, Thank You.

• Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Entertainment

Last Minute Halloween Guide

• Erie

Erie Softball JV & C Teams Finish 2018 Season Undefeated

• Erie

Homecoming Who??

• Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Colorado

Falling Leaves & Pumpkins Please

• Erie

Softball Season Preview

• Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Erie

“Grow with Alejo”

• Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!

Erie

Kids Summer Lunch Program

• College

Erie Track Team Runs in Kansas

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into
Watch Out Erie, Swim Is Coming!