Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Through the Winter Chill Erie Track Emerges

Erie High School’s track and field program is embarking on a new journey this season, for the first time in team history they will be participating in a winter track season.

The new opportunity gives athletes a chance to gain speed and stay in shape in the bitter Colorado cold. The frigid cold and snow has required a number of practices to be held indoors which has proved to be a problem for both coaches and athletes.

With the track completely covered in snow, the Tigers moved to the hallways of the school to get some work in. Plyometrics and ladders covered the halls where the athletes worked hard to improve their footwork and hip mobility.

The winter track athletes have developed a special kind of bond through the workouts. Sophomore 100-meter, 200-meter, and 400-meter runner Ayden Wagner-Grull states, “The community we have is very nice. Lots of fun and nice people. It’s always a good time.”

Most athletes signed up for winter track to prepare to make a run for state in the Spring including freshman Abigail Bjerkaas. She says, “I signed up for winter track to stay in shape and to get fundamentally better for the Spring.” 

The athletes are not the only people getting ready for the spring season, the coaches are ready to do whatever it takes to bring a state title to Erie. One coach in particular, Wally Clay, is especially prepared for the season, “For me I’m all about working early, so instead of starting in March I thought to myself why not start working earlier?”

As the winter track season continues, there is a collective eagerness among the Erie Tigers to put in the hard work necessary to improve their times and ultimately secure an elusive state championship. The dedication and resilience shown by the entire track team shows the team’s commitment to success in this unconventional yet promising winter track season.