Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Hockey Season

The Puck Drops Now
Hockey+Season

As the blinding lights turn on, and the layers of ice blend together, professional hockey players are gearing up for the first puck drop of the regular season. Starting on October 10th, NHL hockey teams gradually began their seasons, beginning with a triple header with teams from both the western and eastern conferences.   

NHL teams conducted the entry draft on June 28th, 2023, with the first pick being Connor Bedard from North Vancouver, British Columbia He is largely known in the hockey community as one of the greatest prospects in his generation, this being proved by the immediate pick from the Chicago Blackhawks. John Tavares, captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs, said, “The way he carries himself is extremely, extremely impressive. Reminds me a lot of Sid.” In reference to Bedard’s playing style. “Sid,” commonly known as Sidney Crosby, is currently the tenured captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and is regarded as one of the best active hockey players, and a “future hall of famer.” On Tuesday, October 10th, the Blackhawks and Penguins played each other in a nail biting match with a final score of 4-2 for  the Blackhawks. . 

While many viewed this match as two great players coming head to head, Bedard was focused on the momentum going into it. He describes the season opener as, “a moment you think of all your life.”

Each team in the NHL has a fair shot at making the playoffs, however certain teams stand out among the rest. Currently, the New Jersey Devils, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Carolina Hurricanes have the best odds at winning, however these odds may shift as the season progresses. The Devils have won 3 Stanley Cups in franchise history, while the Maple Leafs have racked up 13 franchise wins. The Carolinas have only won the cup once, in 2006. 

This season, the Vegas Golden Knights are hoping to defend their reigning status as Stanley Cup winners, however many hockey enthusiasts are looking beyond them for contenders this year. The Knights won their first Stanley Cup as a franchise last year, in their 6th season. Veteran player and captain Mark Stone led the Knights to a 4-1 series win against the Florida Panthers to win the cup. 

Stone has played 587 games and counting in his career, and has racked up an impressive 516 points. Stone is known for being an outstanding player and captain for his team, as defenseman Alec Martinez says, “He’s the biggest leader in this room,” and center Jack Eichel adds onto this fact by saying, “He’s a guy that other people gravitate towards. Just being around him for a short amount of time, you realize right away why he’s the captain here.”

The 2023-2024 hockey season is shaping to be very entertaining, with countless talented rookie players joining the league, and many veterans looking for the title and bragging rights of winning the infamous Stanley Cup.