Erie @ Frederick Game Recap

Grayson Blalock, Assistant Editor

FREDERICK- The Erie Tigers retained the Miner’s Trophy for the 4th year in a row with their 40-24 win over the Frederick Warriors on Friday night. Frederick struck first with a touchdown that would be the only score of the first quarter with a 2 yard run from James Jones with 4:36 to go. After both defenses held, Erie responded with a 1 yard touchdown run from who else but Noah Roper. After Spencer Brooks got into the backfield to force a huge sack, Frederick put a 36 yard field goal through the goalposts for a 10-7 lead (Brooks would exit the game in the 3rd quarter with a concussion). Julian Custine missed a close field goal before the half to keep the score at 10-7 going into halftime.

Sophomore defensive end Josh Bradford said “We had to get our heads on straight.”

Bradford certainly did as he had several drive stopping tackles and sacks in the 2nd half. After bringing the kickoff back to the 30 yard line, Roper promptly took the first play 70 yards for a score, putting Erie up 14-10. But Frederick would immediately respond after Jones took a screen for 49 yards, and Dante Ciaravola caught an 18 yard touchdown pass from Jake Green to put the Warriors ahead, 17-14. But from there on out it was all Erie, their next drive was capped by a Jayme Nelms 9 yard touchdown reception, which put Erie up 21-17 with 2:16 to go in the 3rd. Roper didn’t play until the end of that drive, as he was injured after tackling Jones on his long catch.

After a good defensive stand and a Warrior punt, Noah Roper promptly broke a 61 yard touchdown run to put the Tigers up 28-17, and they never let Frederick back into the game.

After a Nate Hackney sack, and ironically, Bradford and Jaden Gilmore combining to bring down Olson, again in the backfield to force a Frederick punt, Erie blew the doors off the barn. Dion Lucero threw his second touchdown of the night to Zach Rees for 38 yards. That second passing touchdown is Erie’s single game high in conference play. After Custine missed an extra point, the Warrior offense was stopped again. It is only fitting that Roper scored Erie’s last touchdown of the game to put the Tigers up 40-17 (missed point after attempt).

Olson would break a long run with all the Erie backups in the game to give Frederick a last touchdown. The game would end with the score of 40-24.

Quarterback Dion Lucero and Defensive Tackle Cameron Marcucci did not mince words at the Tigers first half performance. Lucero said that “We came out soft, we thought we had it right in the bag, but we really didn’t, so at halftime we locked in together and came out together and blew ‘em up.”

Marcucci also remarked that “We got more motivated knowing that we were a better team than they are and we did not want to be beat by them at all.”

Frederick head coach Travis Peebles said this after the game: “Erie’s a tough team, they’ve got a great defense, and at the same time, we hurt ourselves with some penalties, but they’re a great football team. Congratulations to Erie High School for the great win and good luck in the playoffs”

He might not want to wish Erie too much luck, because with losses around the state from Denver North and Fort Morgan, the Warriors still have a chance to make the playoffs. However, Erie is guaranteed a playoff spot and a game next weekend, possibly at home, depending on how the state of RPI shakes out. One thing is certain, however. After defeating archrival Frederick, there is more football left to be played for this Erie Tiger team.

You can watch the archived livestream of the game HERE.