Laney Bowers: Strong legacy left behind

Janeth Vazquez, Staff Writer

As we all are dread having to say goodbye to the seniors of 2022 we can look back and see just how much they’ve really impacted us and Erie. Laney bowers is leaving her legacy on Erie already, as a senior she has been player of the match several times this Volleyball season!!

Laney talks about how much of an impact sports can make on your life she has been involved in not only Volleyball but also Tennis. She says “Without these sports I would not be the person I am today I have learned so much about how to push myself and it has shown me how to work hard and to be invested and committed into a team. My life would not be the same if I didn’t pursue my sports.” 

Being a senior it can be hard to pick just one highlight that describes your whole High school experience Laney goes with her Junior year and how accomplished she felt by the end of it! “One important highlight I have had was junior year finals week because I just remember being so stressed and then finally getting all my tests done and projects and I will never forget how good it felt to not have any more stress and that I got the grades I needed on my finals. I truly felt so accomplished by being all to get over what seemed like an impossible obstacle.” Junior year can be stressful and is one of the most important years in High school, some tips she gives to help prepare yourself for senior year included “I would recommend to have off blocks and take college courses if you can. To prepare would be looking over the summer to see some colleges that are interesting to you so during the school year it’s less stressful for applying and researching.”

Though Laney prioritizes School over sports she definitely recommends trying some sports out as they can be super beneficial not just scholarship wise but also very impactful on life. Sports bring many people together and give the opportunity to make amazing memories. “Sports have already given me so many amazing relationships and I can’t wait to bond through a sport with other people in my life. I will never forget all the funny memories that I share with my teammates from playing tennis in 30 degree weather and 40 mph winds to my volleyball team always bringing squishmallows to away games and sleeping in any place we could before our game. There is countless moments I have shared with my teammates which have benefited me as a person and a player.” This wholesome and sweet quote helps really show just how much passion Laney has developed for these sports!

There are definitely ups and downs to being a Student-Athlete and at times it can be next to impossible to really balance it out and manage your time well. “Managing my time looks like getting lots of homework done during my off blocks and sometimes having to stay up late to study. Also making sure I stay on top of all my work and not getting behind and overwhelmed.” Laney is very positive and open minded, she does her best to not procrastinate assignments because in the end they would just give way more stress than needed if you do all of your work Asap! 

“I am so thankful to all my coaches through my high school career and how they truly never gave up on me, each one of them has made me a better person and player. My parents are always so supportive of me and are always there to help me when I am too overwhelmed with school and games. I truly could not of done it without my parents and their countless hours being involved in both of my sports.”