A New Addition To The Spooky Season at Erie High School

Daelyn Thasiah

A great turnout for Trunk or Treating on Oct. 28th

Paige, Senior Staff Writer

As the leaves begin to fade into shades of gold and crimson, and the air becomes crisp,fall has arrived here in Erie. That can only mean one thing: Halloween.

This year, Erie’s student government hosted their first annual Trunk or Treating event for the community Oct 28.

“I didn’t think there would be a lot of families that would show up, but it was actually pretty packed. It made me feel like I was doing something good to give back to the community.”

— Ava Klassa

“We thought it would be a really cool way to get involved in the community, and get our elementary and middle schools involved,” Daelyn Thasiah says. Thasiah is the Senior class president here at Erie, and has taken on many challenges similar to Trunk or Treating in the hopes of bringing the high school together with the Erie community.

Mr. Buchler and Mrs. Peebles coming out to support Trunk or Treating the right way (Daelyn Thasiah)

“I don’t think we do a lot of events that are directly involved with the community. So I think it shows kids what they can get involved with, and participate in while in high school.” Thasiah continues.

With this event being one the first the school has hosted, a multitude of students came out to make the night a success. Ava Klassa, a senior here at Erie, joined her friends in making the night special for the trunk or treaters, “I thought it’d be a cool experience because it was a new thing to the high school this year. With all the fun things StuGo has organized so far this year, I figured it would be something I would really enjoy,” Klassa states. Though there were doubts in the beginning about how successful the event would be, Klassa turned down those doubts after her experience.

“I didn’t think there would be a lot of families that would show up, but it was actually pretty packed. It made me feel like I was doing something good to give back to the community.” She says.

Along with the great turnout from the students and the community on October 28th, Halloween costumes also made an appearance. Erie High School Principal Matthew Buchler stepped out in an Elvis Presley costume, and Varsity volleyball player Janna Martinez impressed the crowd with a Victor recreation from Despicable Me.

Janna Martinez and Caroline Courson Handing out candy and dressed to the 9’s for the event (Daelyn Thasiah)

“I hope that the underclassmen bring it in next year and continue on the new tradition we have created here at Erie,” Thasiah says hopeful, “With all the success we experienced the first time around with this event, I do not think it’ll be an argument in the future.”