We Regret To Inform You…

We Regret To Inform You…

Alyssa Chavez, Senior Staff Writer

A letter from your favorite college comes in the mail, you cross your fingers hoping that the letter is congratulating you for getting in, but when you open it up it states, “We regret to inform you…” You didn’t get in. Now what? 

If you have received one of these letters it is not the end of the world, even though it might feel like it.

You are able to feel this out. Getting into this college was all you ever dreamed of, and you worked your hardest to make it.

You have a right to be sad, you have a right to cry as much as you want, just get it out. You have a right to feel whatever you are feeling, don’t feel like you shouldn’t be upset or that you can’t be upset.

There are many different ways to deal with your college disappointment. Let’s start with self-care, keep yourself busy with anything else but college related things. Focus more on finishing the school year the way you want to. Or focus more on something that makes you happy, such as your favorite hobby or you could pick up a new hobby. 

Spend time with your friends, do a face mask, do anything and everything you can in order to become the best version of yourself.

Most people tend to ignore the problem until they feel better about it. An “out of sight out of mind” kind of mentality. And that’s okay,everyone deals with disappointment and grief in different ways.

As you go through the distraction phase hopefully you finally accept that this rejection is nothing personal. Many colleges limit the number of incoming students that can come from a particular city or state. So, if a high number of applicants come from one area, many students may not get it. 

Maybe this minor bump in the road has helped you realize that specific college was not the one for you anyway; just like how there are plenty of fish in the sea, there are plenty of colleges to choose from. 

You could possibly just go with your second college choice, but if you did not have one then it’s time to do some research. It’s important to want to attend a college that will be able to help you become successful in whatever department you choose.

No matter what you choose to do, or where you choose to go there is a bright future for you out there. College rejection is not the end of the world, it’s just the beginning of a journey you didn’t plan.