Letter from the Editor

Grayson explains how happiness and mindset could be the key to a sucessful life.

Grayson Wolff, Editor-in-Chief

It’s a new year, so therefore a new you, right? Not so much.

New year’s resolutions were started by the Babylonians, where they would make promises to their gods at the start of year that they would ‘pay their debts’. The Romans continued this tradition by making promises to the god Janus, which is the name from which the month January is derived. The new year inspires resolutions from a plethora of people around the world. But the reality is, everyday is a day to start trying to be the person you want to be.

While Resolutions can be as simple as wanting to exercise more, they can dive deep into planting the roots for your future. For high school students, an example of this would be carefully planning out your classes to not only succeed, but to gain more experience in what you want to do with your life. But even if you have no idea of what that is, you could make a goal to broaden your horizons to hopefully find your niche. Success however, is not measured purely by academics, but by happiness.  

The world is constantly changing, and that includes you. Learning how to adapt to the change that happens in your life is the key to success and happiness.

As George Bernard Shaw said, “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”

Your mindset is the key to making you happy, or the alternative. You are not born with a ‘growth’ mindset, rather it comes from hard work and viewing mistakes not as a bad thing, but something to learn from. If you want to change the world, you must change yourself first. Improving things upon yourself is the foundation to improving what is around you.

Everyday can be that day – the day you make the change you want, for yourself or others. Do not judge, or worry about being judged, because we are all different, and no matter what the world still turns.

Sincerely,

Grayson Wolff