Tiger Times

Freakonomics: The Hidden Side of Everything

An economist and a journalist explain why there is cheating in Sumo Wrestling, and much, much more.

Emma Sanders, Copy Editor

We all know that economics explains national debt and tax increases, but is that all? Or is there a hidden side of economics that explores the weird questions we have all wondered at some point, but been too weirded out to ask?

In the nonfiction masterpiece Freakonomics, Chicago economist Steven Levitt and New York journalist Stephen J. Dubner explore the hidden economics in everything. The brilliant duo answers the questions that have puzzled people for decades, such as why do drug dealers live with their parents? And is there cheating in Sumo Wrestling? Levitt and Dubner explain national trends by forming connections that seem ridiculous at first glance, such as the relationship between abortion and the drastic decrease in crime rates during the 1990’s. The pair also explains the more current connection between unique baby names and their influence on the child’s turnout. Freakonomics proposes and answers eight crazy questions, ranging from the invention of crack, to perfecting the art of parenthood. Freakonomics contains mind bending questions and correlations that appeal to both parents and children, and criminals and college students.

Upon its release, Freakonomics became an instant hit, becoming a New York Best Selling book. Freakonomics has also been adapted into a documentary which can be found on Netflix, and been turned into a Podcast. Freakonomics was the second best selling book on Amazon for 150 weeks, and was topped only by Harry Potter.

With the statistical genius of Levitt, and then humorous wit of Dubner, the pair uncovers and explains a whole new world of questions and answers that inspires individual research, and is thought provoking and informative. Freakonomics is a brilliant and insightful explanation to the hidden side of economics. It is inspiring, groundbreaking, and speaks straight to the curiosity of a developing mind. Freakonomics is the book that got me interested in economics, and remains one of my favorites. I hope that it inspires you as well.