Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Baseball
May 22, 2024

Steven Aguirre: Bringing Worldly Experiences into the Classroom

Everyday at Erie High School, Juniors and Seniors file into room T-102 to be taught by Steven Aguirre, Erie’s beloved Personal Finance teacher. Working at Erie since 2012, Aguirre has certainly made his mark. 

Although Aguirre hasn’t always been Erie’s Personal Finance teacher, he first started off teaching German, and then Spanish. He stated, “my parents made my brother, my sister, and me be trilingual, no negotiation.” From growing up in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and going to University in Germany and the Netherlands, this wasn’t a difficult task for him. 

Aguirre has traveled far and wide across the world, so you may be wondering, how did he end up in Erie, Colorado?

Steven Aguirre’s 8th Grade Photo

Growing up in Buenos Aires, Argentina and Boca Raton, Florida, Aguirre then got his Undergraduate degree at Florida Atlantic University. After graduating, Aguirre worked as a commodity merchandiser for craft food services, “hedging and being a buyer for products that then got distributed to restaurants, I hated it. It was great at times but I didn’t like being there fifty weeks a year,” Aguirre explained. 

After his time in the business world, Aguirre moved to RWTH Aachen University in Aachen, Germany while also being enrolled in the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands, where he got his first ‘Masters Degree’, although it was at European Universities. He then went to get his second Masters Degree in education at Peru State College online. 

After his education in Europe, Aguirre moved back to the states and worked at a car dealership for 2 years before buying a car wash, “then I became a teacher and because I’m used to doing more than one thing at once then I sold that car wash, got rentals, and also got a laundromat that I just sold a little more than a year ago,” Aguirre added. 

Once Aguirre found himself at the St. Vrain Valley School district, he first worked at Heritage Middle School which is now Timberline PK-8, he then worked at Mead High School for a year, while still working at Timberline. After his year at Mead, Aguirre finally began his reign at Erie High School.

From working in the St. Vrain Valley School District for 23 years, Aguirre has spent more than half of those years working at Erie High school- and you can see his effects in all of the students. In specific, Senior Dax Bradshaw mentioned, “He’s just a fun guy to interact with, he’s very knowledgeable about anything, not just finances but a lot of life advice.”

Aguirre has spent many years at Erie High School and his effects on its students have been nothing short of incredible. Juniors and Seniors in years to come can only hope they have Steven Aguirre as their Personal Finance teacher.