Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Baseball
May 22, 2024

Erie’s Mascot Demonstrates Tiger Pride

Erie High School has been the home of the Tigers for decades. In the school’s long history not one time has the mascot changed. But why would a small mining town choose a tiger as the mascot? 

With each passing year, Erie High School’s Tiger grew more than just a mascot; it became a source of pride for students and alumni alike. From the adrenaline-fueled victories on the football field to the accomplishments in the classroom, the tiger mascot stood as a silent witness to the spirit of the school. 

The choice of colors for the Tiger wasn’t just random; it was a nod to the town’s rich history of coal mining. Black and orange, reminiscent of the coal that had once fueled Erie as a town, now painted all over banners, jerseys, and spirit wear, a visual reminder of the school’s connection to its roots. 

For students, wearing the black and gold wasn’t just about representing their school; it was a symbol of their identity, a badge of honor that united them in a common purpose. The school secretary: Marta Quandt feels the Erie mascot means more than just a mascot. “I think a tiger has responsibility, integrity, grit and teamwork; all of those things represent our students.” Whether the students were cheering on the sidelines or huddled together in the bleachers, the colors of the Tiger filled them with a sense of belonging and pride. 

And as the years went by, that pride only grew stronger. Students took ownership of the Tiger, finding new ways to express their admiration and devotion. Campus supervisor Ricky believes that the Tiger mascot is not just for getting a crowd excited. “I think the tiger does more than like cheerleaders and dancers to entertain a crowd, I think it elevates everybody and shows more enthusiasm and it makes a huge difference.” From organizing pep rallies to creating new chants at football games, they ensured that the spirit of the Tiger was felt throughout the entire community. 

For the students of Erie, the Tiger isn’t just a mascot; it is a symbol of possibility, a reminder that no matter where life takes them, they will always carry the spirit of Erie High School. And as they step out into the world beyond the walls of the school, they will always remember their days as a tiger.