Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Tiger Times

Baseball
May 22, 2024

Tigers’ Track Chasing Championship Dreams

A Rundown with Coach Havard

As the track season kicks off in Erie, the anticipation is high among the students, coaches, and supporters of Erie High School. With the Tigers’ track team aiming for nothing short of excellence, Head Coach Brandon Havard leads the charge with optimism, and a touch of superstition.

“In the sport of track and field, you never know what you will get,” remarks Havard, acknowledging the unpredictable nature of the sport. For example, in 2022, then sophomore Blake Barnett won the 100 meter state title with an 11 second flat time. His following junior season, Barnett improved his time to a 10.7. However, he only placed third in 5A. Despite this uncertainty, there’s a sense of determination within the team as they set their sights on a state championship.

“I am a little bit superstitious, so I won’t say if I expect a champion or not,” confesses Havard, “but I will say that inside of our team, we have set some very high goals, and I truly believe we have the talent to be able to accomplish them.”

One of the defining features of this year’s Erie High School track team is the influx of new talent. Havard speaks highly of several newcomers who have caught his eye during practice sessions. Among them are standout athletes, such as sophomore Gabe Sema and freshman Abby Bjerkaas. Havard expresses confidence that these athletes, along with others like Gavin Lusk, Anna Fott, and Noah Glaze, will not only compete for spots on the varsity team but also have the potential to make their mark on school records and perhaps even rewrite Erie’s history books.

“This is one of the most well-rounded teams we have had here in a long time,” Havard remarks proudly, highlighting the depth and diversity of talent within the team.

With a mix of seasoned veterans and promising newcomers, Erie High School’s track team is set up for success across all events. Havard believes in the team’s ability to make a significant impact at the state level

“I feel like we have a great chance to qualify someone from every event to state,” he says confidently, underscoring the team’s potential for success across the board. 

As the Tigers prepare to hit the track and compete against opposing schools, the unity and hard work within the team sticks out, “this will give us a great shot at winning Erie’s First State Championship in  Track and Field  and truly Making History,” Havard concludes.