Tiger Times

Three of Erie’s Own Chosen as Boettcher Scholarship Semi-Finalists

Erie High School had three students selected for this high honor.

user

Ashley Bedore, Editor-in-Chief

When it comes to high school achievements, receiving a Boettcher Scholarship is one of the highest honors a Colorado student can receive. This year, Erie High’s own Emily Fitzjohn, McKayley Green, and Kathryn Huonder are apart of the 300 students chosen as semi-finalists.

The Boettcher Scholarship is sponsored by the Boettcher Foundation with the goal of keeping Colorado’s best students in-state for college. The scholarship covers all tuition and fees to any Colorado university. On top of the full-ride scholarship, students get access to the “Boettcher connection” that connects them to Boettcher Scholarship alumni. This helps them find future business partners, scholarships, and jobs.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I would get it,” says a flabbergasted Emily Fitzjohn. “There were 1400 applicants and I didn’t think my resume was that good.”

Applicants are chosen by their counselor based on high academic ability, SAT scores, involvement in the community, and a great personality. Then, a rigorous application is completed by the applicant. If chosen as a semi-finalist, students must submit three letters of recommendation by their in hopes of becoming a finalist. If chosen as a finalist, a 20 minute interview is conducted by the foundation. 42 Colorado students are awarded with this amazing scholarship.

Fitzjohn, who plans on studying wildlife biology, has always dreamed of the scholarship, but never imagined that she would “Make it this far.”

Emily Fitzjohn, Boettcher Scholarship semi-finalist.

According to the Boettcher Foundation web page, other perks of the scholarship include “An annual holiday party at the Governor’s Residence at Boettcher Mansion, networking events, community service days, Colorado Rockies games, improv courses, a teacher recognition awards program, a new scholar orientation and more.”

Awarding a teacher who has made an impact on the student’s life is an important aspect of the scholarship. A teacher that is chosen receives a $1,000 grant to benefit learning or the school they teach at.

When asked who Fitzjohn would choose if she got to recognize a teacher, she was torn. “There are so many teachers here that have influenced me and helped me, I don’t know if I could choose just one.” However, the teachers that have been the most inspiring and supportive to Fitzjohn are Ms. Todd, Ms. Giammo, Ms. Carrie Mitchell, and Mr. Wright.

To any student who is looking to apply for the Boettcher Scholarship, Fitzjohn notes that it’s “not as hard as you think it is. The application looks kinda scary at first, but if you actually sit down and do it, it doesn’t take as long as you think it will.”

Congrats to Emily, McKayley, and Kathryn on becoming semi-finalists and good luck on making it to the finalist round!