What’s in a Bracket?

Class 3A football seeding explained

Makenna Buckskin, Social Media Director & Senior Staff Writer

Class 3A and 4A football wrapped up their seasons last week, marking the end of regular season high school football for all of Colorado. Erie, along with other teams in 3A, had their league championship on the line in this final game. Erie, with a final record of 7-3, Pulled through, and are now back-to-back league champions, earning an automatic bid to the playoffs. A bittersweet moment for the seniors, who now know their season isn’t over yet.

This year, CHSAA redesigned the seeding process for playoff brackets. Each team who qualifies is given a rating. This rating is a combination of scores from RPI, Packard rankings, MaxPreps rankings, and a final Coaches poll, with each of these being weighted 25% of the overall rating.

The bracket is as follows:

1. Mead
  2. Pueblo South
  3. Discovery Canyon
  4. Palmer Ridge
  5. Conifer
  6. Frederick
  7. Durango
  8. Green Mountain
  9. Erie
  10. Palisade
  11. Thomas Jefferson
  12. Fort Morgan
  13. Holy Family
  14. Lutheran
  15. Roosevelt
  16. Harrison

The Tigers were 9th overall in the RPI, with a 0.700 win percentage. Although lower than some other teams, their strength of schedule is the second hardest, only 0.03 points behind Holy Family. In the Packard rankings, Erie was 8th, jumping Green Mountain by 0.009 points. Finally in the final MaxPreps rankings, Erie was 9th, 0.003 points behind Green Mountain.The final calculations give Erie a rating of 0.66857, placing them 9th overall. 

The Tigers will travel to Green Mountain on Friday for a 7:00 pm kickoff.

For more stats, check out chsaanow.com

To watch the game LIVE, or to check out other events, go to erietigernetwork.com/watch