Erie Falls to Discovery Canyon

Evan Hutson, Staff Writer

ERIE — Erie Girls volleyball began their season with a home defeat vs Discovery Canyon on Wednesday night with a score of 3-0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-18) giving Erie a record of 0-1 and putting Discovery Canyon at 1-0.

Despite the Tigers having two less kills than last year where they swept Discovery Canyon on the road, they were not able to overcome their amount of errors on Wednesday night. They had 17 attacking errors and 9 serving errors. The tigers also just couldn’t get on defense.

Maggie Olson said, “They were hitting very well and had us moving all around.”

The Tigers lost the first set with a 25-16 defeat. It was very back and forth after they went down by 3 early. We had a couple of our 9 serving errors which had a big impact on this first set. Erie dropped the second set of the game by a score of 25-17. Jessica Amend has had a couple flashy assists in the set which helped add up to her 26 assists in total. Erie fell in the third set 25-18 but we had a strong finish to the game with Olson’s ace which helped turn the game around.

Despite the early loss, Erie’s team still believes it can have an excellent season. They have an older and experienced team with 6 seniors, even though they lost 5 seniors last year, with an especially big loss of Sydney Crites. Although we did have three new varsity players in the starting lineup. Lindsey Sebesta and Maggie Olson, both sophomores started in the game, and Skye Ramsey who is a senior.

“I am very excited about this season and I think we will be very successful,” Lindsey Sebesta said after the game.

Addy Huber, Peyton Michaelson, Lily Kurz, and Kate Sebesta are all players who made the fans scream “Swat Team!” They had two blocks each during the game.

“The student section really does have a big impact on the game, it keeps us all motivated,” Lindsey Sebesta said after her varsity debut as a libero.

Erie’s next game is September 3rd at Evergreen. Go cheer them on as they go for their first win.