Kailey Pickering Portfolio

2018-2019 Portfolio

Kailey Pickering, Editor-in-Chief

Strengthening Girls’ Mentality and Impacting Lives: How Coach Sarah Pfeifer Makes a Difference in Girls Basketball

Personality Profiles are my favorite stories to write, I love learning so much about another person and sharing their story. This one has to be one of my favorites because I put the story of Erie’s girls basketball coach into a basketball game in the story. I am eager to share this with the judges.

Vaping Has Been Clouding the Bathrooms of Erie High School

This piece held a bit of investigating, I interviewed administrators and anonymous students to get the story on how vaping affects Erie’s halls. My research of vaping effects included annotating a 12 page medical journal to fully understand what I was writing about. I’m very proud of the time and effort I put into this piece as it demonstrates my research skills.

Suprabha Khatri: The Girl Who Brings Music and Light to the Erie High School Halls

This piece was a sort of mini personality profile on a student at my school from Nepal! I had the pleasure of interviewing her and learning about her life. It was fun to get to know her and know I can help others get to know her too.

Erie Tiger Wrestlers Conquer Holy Family and Frederick in the Same Night!

Sports writing is not an area I am always familiar with. I chose this piece because it was a new piece for me to write and a new experience. I learned so much about the sport just from watching. I grew from this piece and it shows variety in my writing.

Delay in Tiger Stadium Insures Quality Track for Years to Come

This story was written in a day as it held pressing news that needed to get to the community before the weekend. I held interviews with admin the day of and learned about the construction process. This demonstrates my breaking news writing.

Run Away With Water for Elephants

This review is one of my best, I painted a picture of the story hidden within the pages of Water for Elephants. I want to share this with the judges to showcase the reflection and imagery in this story.