Celebrating 15 Years of the Erie Rec Center

Porter Hamilton, Student Writer

You all know our beloved Erie Rec Center as a great place to swim, workout, play sports, and meet up with friends. The Erie Rec Center has just recently celebrated their 15th anniversary since opening January fifth 2008. 

They offer many programs for different ages such as active adults for 60 plus, youth, and families. They also offer aquatics, summer camp, and fitness and wellness. The youth sports they offer include baseball, basketball, flag football, soccer, softball, and volleyball. They also offer adult sports such as 50 plus softball and volleyball as well as basketball, cornhole, flag football, kickball, soccer, softball, volleyball, and various racquet sports. 

The rec center is not only a great place for us to meet and have fun with our friends, it also brings many various jobs to the adults and students of the Erie community and Erie High School. 

Some other great activities you can do at the rec center include using their racquetball, tennis, skate park. The rec center gives various activities and has been serving our community for over 15 years now. The building is also seeing an expansion including a bicycle pump rack being built currently, and as our town continues to grow you can expect our beloved rec center to grow as well.

Members enjoy the great workout facilities and the cleanliness of the equipment. “All the equipment was really clean and maintained,” Cohen Hamilton, a member of the community center and eighth grade student at nearby Peak to Peak Charter school says. 

“The weights are great, the cardio’s great,” Chris Smith, a member of the Rec Center and Erie High School freshman said. There seems to be a theme as both of our interviewees seemed to like the equipment and complimented the top grade machines. 

Our students and other members alike love to use the rec center to swim and play basketball. “I go there every week or so and I usually swim or play basketball with my friends,” Hamilton says. Smith also states that he enjoys going about six days a week and just play basketball. This enjoyment can be a direct result of the basketball gym including six hoops, two half courts, and a full court as well as our amazing community that is always so inclusive which makes it a great place to find new friends. 

Lastly we asked our interviewees about how they compared it to other rec centers they have visited, both stating it is one of the best if not the best rec center they have visited. They said everything is really clean and up to date compared to other rec centers that may not take as much pride and effort into their community.

The community is very thankful for the amazing fifteen years the rec center has given them and is really hopeful to watch our rec center grow as a centerpiece for our amazing growing community.