Erie Tigers Are Starting To Get Vaccinated

Caleb Harner, Staff Writer

As Erie High School students start to receive COVID-19 shots, their public boundaries and limits are lowered.

“A lot of people are going out more freely now believing that they will not spread or get the virus,” says junior Garrett Felton. 

As more people get the vaccine, their confidence in public is raised, as they know they are less likely to get the virus. 

“It’s not even the fact that I am vaccinated, it is the fact that knowing and seeing how many people are getting the vaccine.”  junior Bethany Graylin continues, “It makes me more confident knowing that people are trying to get rid of COVID because before the vaccine came out and we were wearing masks, it felt like a lot of people didn’t care.”

With multiple companies getting a vaccine out, such as Pfizer, Moderna, Sanofi, Johnson and Johnson, and Novavax, people are more sure of what they are receiving, and coming to the conclusion that it is more like a flu shot than anything. However, with the standard that you have to be at least 16 years old to receive it.

“It is a super easy, painless process just like getting your flu shot. When I got mine it took maybe 30 minutes altogether. I was in line for about 10 minutes, got the shot in 30 seconds, and then you have to hang out for about 15 minutes afterward,” notes Felton. 

“It is not going to necessarily hurt you to get it. It’s not FDA approved yet but they have not proven any of the side effects either,” says Graylin.

As more students receive the COVID-19 vaccine, the same side effects afterward are about the same.

“I had somebody aches, then my arm hurt where I got the first shot, and then the second one I developed flu-like symptoms for a very brief period. It was there one minute and then gone the next,” mentions an Erie High School student.

Other than a sore arm, most students have not felt any different. However, once most students have fully vaccinated the chances of going back to school full time with fewer restrictions increase. An additional bonus to getting the vaccine is that once students get it, they no longer need to quarantine if exposed. 

“I think they would definitely put us back five days a week. I do not know if it would necessarily be any safer than it is now with people being vaccinated, but I do think it will slow the spread of COVID-19,” mentions Graylin.

“I definitely believe that we would go back in person full time because if people are fully vaccinated, we will have less people quarantined and help push for more time in school,” says an Erie High School student.

As vaccines are more and more common, the overall confidence within students is growing and allowing more leeway within the community.