Tiger Times

Thoughts, Stars and Adventures are Held in John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down

In Turtles All the Way Down thoughts and adventures swirl around and around!

Lost between the pages of a book

Lost between the pages of a book

Photo by Morgan Walje

Photo by Morgan Walje

Lost between the pages of a book

Kailey Pickering, Senior Staff Writer

Thoughts swirl chaotically in the mind of Aza Holmes in John Green’s Turtles All The Way Down. Aza is so plagued by thoughts of contracting a terrible disease such as C. Diff that she can barely even eat lunch. On top of her prison of a mind, Aza’s best friend Daisy convinces her to investigate the disappearance of her old friend Davis’s father, Russell Picket, who disappeared after being accused of fraud within his business.

Aza and Davis were childhood buddies who met at a summer camp for children who have lost a parent. They shared memories and adventures but began to drift apart as they got older. Through Aza and Daisy’s investigations, Aza begins to reconnect with Davis. A tiny light is brought to her world of screaming thoughts and spiraling fears.

As life begins to get exciting with Davis, pieces begin to fall apart as her thoughts consume her and tell her that she has contracted a dangerous disease that prevents her from sleeping and dreaming. Therapy is just the same thing over and over again as the therapists makes observations and reminds her to take a pill that Aza despises and refuses to take because she does not want to be controlled by a substance. Aza tries and tries to be all of the things everyone wishes her to be but her mind only continues to spins.

John Green’s Turtles All The Way Down is a wonderful book filled with all kinds of thoughts of a deeper meaning of life and a new perspective of what it truly feels like to suffer from voices and thoughts filling your head. It is such an interesting book to read, and to see how constricting and imprisoning the mind can be.

With his frightening true representation of the madness and thoughts, John Green brings another view of reality and many realizations of what this crazy life is. Turtles All the Way Down is a wonderful, revealing, romantic, intriguing story that just has to be read if you have an interest in the mind and our whirling thoughts or if you just want another John Green love story!

1 Comment

One Response to “Thoughts, Stars and Adventures are Held in John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down”

1. Hannah Goldman on January 11th, 2018 10:42 am

I love your introduction and conclusion. The introduction draws me in to the story and the conclusion makes me want to read the book. Your writing style is amazing! It explains the story so perfectly without spoiling the book. You could improve the story be describing the beginning of the book in much more detail. This way you could draw the reader into the book and your story at the same time. My favorite part of the story is how you do not talk about your opinion until the end because your writing allows me to understand the book and then your opinion on it instead of it being combined and confusing. Your story is amazing and I will definitely read the book!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Thoughts, Stars and Adventures are Held in John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down

Opinion

Extra! Extra! Read all about your extracurriculars!

• Student Life

Letter from the Editor

• Student Life

How To Be Single And Have The Best Valentines Day!

• Art

How to Live a Happy Lifestyle

Student Life

The Recurrence of Trends is Simply Groovy

Student Life

Finals are Over. Now What?

School News

What does an Erie High School Spring Musical Audition Really Looks Like?

• Student Life

The Final Days

Student Life

What NOT To Do To Prepare For Finals

Sports

Bryce Meier’s Top Ten Song Recommendations To Get In The Zone

Stories You Can Sink Your Teeth Into